Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I, Dhutugemunu...

07/07/07 came and went. That was a Saturday, again another 7. Then came Sunday, Sunday comes along with Sunday papers and going through 'The Nation' there was an interesting interview with Hon. Mervyn Silva, MP and Labour Minister (non Cabinet) of MR government.

Mervyn Silva is infamous for not only his acts of assault and harassment (even within Parliament chamber) but also for his relationship with the leadership of this country and also the criminal underworld. So much so many refer to him as the god father of all major kingpins of all illicit trades and is what the Insurance Corporation to an ordinary Merchant to the criminal underworld.

His son is no different from the father, a know thug, he is a regular fixture till recently in Colombo night life, and spares no one who 'crosses' his path. This included Police personal and members of Media.

There was a time when Sirasa and MTV used to repeat over and over, Mervyns blatant threat and an almost assault on a camera man outside the Courts complex in Colombo 10.

Mervyn is a marked man in India, well known for his connections to Drug kingpins of India and is said that Indian Customs and anti Drug Police has a permanent watch on him. In Sri Lanka, Mervyn Silva used his Parliamentary privileges and inside influence to covertly or overtly assist all most all the Drug barons and the lesser drag dealers ,when they face 'trouble' with Police and Law Enforcement services.

Mervyn Silva was a one time supporter of the 'Peace Mafia' even went on to share the stage with the rest of the peace mafia including Jehan perera ,Kumar Rupashingha & Co,. this wan when that infamous incident occurred ,when a group of JHU/NSF supporters led by few monks tried to disrupt a National Anti War Meeting , when Mervyn leashed out his 'Peace Force' against them.

Mervyn Silva is well known for his loyalty to the top. This virtue brought him from a regular SLFP thug to a SLFP Member of Parliament, appointed through the National List (after he lost the election when he received only few thousand votes), mainly thanks to his services provided to one time 'defender' of Democracy and Rule of Law in Sri Lanka, Mrs.CBK. when MR became president, Mervyns loyalties simply shifted towards Medamulana Walawwa.

Anyway here are some interesting points of that interview. Moreover, I suggest all readers should refer to the full text of the interview, as this is, in my view a chronicle of bankrupt leadership and reliance on common criminals in modern day politics of Sri Lanka.

His remarks on being a confidant of the President " When I was in the UNP, I was close to Ranil Wickremesinghe. I have always been close to the leaders. With the present leader, we have a friendship for generations. Nothing has happened to the respect I have for the former president. But, I am very angry with her, for making derogatory remarks of our party and of our leader, in a private newspaper" is a silent testimony to this.

Some excerpts from the Interview:

Mervyn's view of Sripathi and Mangala decamping MR & Co.-

All who came to our party are giants, while the two who went to the other side were just two pebbles.

JVP's accusation of concealing details of vehicles-

I am important to myself and to my family. This is why I refused to give details. I won't reveal further details

On Certain remarks made in Parliament against Anura Kumara Dissanayake which were expunged from the Hansard-

It is an accepted norm that one does not marry the relatives of one's father. But, in today's newspapers, we read of fathers sleeping with their daughters. I am not like this. My record is straight.

How Mervyn deals with LTTE supporters and violators of peace-

But, if anybody supported the LTTE or, attempts to destroy peace, I won't go to the police to lodge an entry. Instead, I will kill them with my own pistol.

Mervyn's license to kill-


To do something beneficial for society, I do not need any license. Never fear to do good. King Dutugemunu said that his efforts were not for his throne but, for the Sinhala race and Buddhism.

Mervyn's Justifications for being a descendant of Dutugemunu-


I have written proof of my lineage to Dutugemunu. My original name is Hewakoparage Mervyn. The name Silva was bestowed by the Portuguese as an honor.

Mervyn's links to abductions –

The importance of a person cannot be judged by his wealth but, should be counted by the virtue of his parents. After all, I am convinced that my mother never slept with outsiders. What runs in my veins is my parents' blood. I grew up drinking my mother's milk. But, dirty blood runs in those who are involved in abductions. I am not that type

On Mervyn's connection with underworld kingpin Lal Peiris alias 'Kudu Lal'-

Who prefixed "Kudu"? Has he been imprisoned? He is a Municipal councilor. He won the election while in England. He is a good friend of mine. I repeat that he is my good friend. So, if he is involved in 'kudu' business, the law enforcement authority should catch him and punish him. The day he is found guilty of drug peddling, I will spit on his face and abandon my friendship with him. I will not give character certificates to such elements. If the police is competent enough, let them catch him

Mervyn on his Son and his brawls –

My son wants to enjoy like others, once a week. There are nightclubs and he has a right to go and enjoy himself. If someone confronts him, he has a right to respond according to his own conscience

On Mervyn's ownership of luxury cars-

I bought this Porsche before I bought the Jaguar. In another year or so, I hope to purchase a helicopter. After this, I will even buy a jet. Why, who cares? My car, my petrol.

Mervyn and his good looks-

The only shortcoming I have is that I am a little short. I would have been more handsome than Vijaya Kumaratunga, if I were three inches taller than him

Reasons for threatening a Muslim beef seller in Kelaniya electorate-

Because, he was selling beef in that area. Kelaniya is a place where Lord Buddha visited and that place must be kept clean. Lord Buddha even bathed in the river and we cannot allow that place to be defiled. Take for instance, India, people don't slaughter cattle. So why encourage this in Kelaniya?

On objection to Tamils and Muslims taking residence in Kelaniya electorate-

No, there is no such thing. But, if a Tamil or, a Muslim planned to settle down there, he should prove his identity. Almost all the destructions have taken place because they have been allowed to come into the city, unchecked. I have made an order in my electorate that all minorities must establish their identity

Mervyn on accusation that the UPFA has given money to the LTTE to win the presidential election-

If this could be proved or if LTTE chief Prabhakaran admits this then we will ask Prabhakaran to take over the government

Solution to the North-East conflict?
Certainly, negotiations.

(For the full text of the interview - http://www.nation.lk/2007/07/08/inter1.htm )

No comments: